CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Experimentation

With weight loss and a healthier lifestyle comes experimentation.  I absolutely love food.  Food is one thing that Kevin and I really, and I mean really really enjoy.  Not just to eat, but to cook, watch shows, read about etc.  I feel like we are a food critic couple.  We just love to try out all things culinary!  I have been doing a lot of research and looking up healthier recipes for some of our favorite foods.  I have mentioned in my posts before about my new found love of Cooking Light .  There are so many recipes to choose from with all of the nutritional information right at your fingertips. 
Recently, my cousin Annette and her husband have been on a journey of a healthier lifestyle as well.  They have introduced Spaghetti Squash as a subsitute for pasta, rice etc.  I thought I would give it a try.  I have been craving chinese/asian cuisine.  Going out wasn't an option because I'd probably throw will power out the window and splurge on the fried orange chicken and an egg roll.  I opted to browse Cooking Light for a Lo Mein recipe.  I came across a recipe for Beef Broccoli Lo Mein. The recipe itself was very simple and very healthy.  Some of the seasonings/sauces I did have to go out and purchase but I had 80% of the ingredients in my cupboards or refridgerator.  I did tweak a few things to lower the calorie/fat content and one of those things was to use Spaghetti Squash instead of pasta.  That in itself cuts the calorie count WAY down.  1 cup of cooked spaghetti squash has 40 calories and 1 cup of cooked pasta spaghetti has 200 cal. 
The squash was quite simple to cook.  Just cut in half, scoop out the seeds and guts, and bake, cut side down for 1 hour at 350degrees.  Season to taste.  I really enjoyed it.  I am not a squash fan, but this did not taste squashy :)

I am going to post the recipe from Cooking Light below along with their nutrtional information.   Pasta or squash this recipe is AMAZING...a bit spicey but very very delicious!  It's always so fun to experiment.  That's what makes cooking and baking so fun.  Next Challenge:  My famously delectible chocolate chip cookies with splenda and egg beaters....I hope they turn out!


Credit

BEEF BROCCOLI  LO MEIN

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)


Ingredients

4 cups hot cooked spaghetti (used 2 medium sized spaghetti squash)
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil (used olive oil)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and cut across the grain into long, thin strips
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 1 Tbsp of Splenda, 1 Tbsp of brown sugar)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (This made it super spicey, I may cut this in half next time)

Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Combine pasta and sesame oil, tossing well to coat.

While pasta cooks, heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add broccoli and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add steak, and sauté 5 minutes or until done. Add pasta mixture, soy sauce, and remaining ingredients; cook 1 minute or until lo mein is thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.

Nutritional Information (using pasta.  if using squash, assume that the calories and fat will be lower)

Calories  :327 (26% from fat)
Fat:  9.3g (sat 3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.6g)
Protein:  21.7g
Carbohydrate:  39.1g
Fiber:  2.9g
Cholesterol:  36mg
Iron:  3.6mg
Sodium:  382mg
Calcium:  47mg

1 comments:

Anonymous

I used spaghetti squash all the time, and never thought for a lo mein recipe; this looks really good!! Thanks for sharing!

Maegan :)