CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

7 months and first ER trip! Oh boy!

      Lauren just turned 7 months on Sunday.  She is the joy of our lives.  She is so cute and so fun!!!  I just love how interactive she is now.  I am not ready for her new found mobility though.  I love watching her scoot and get herself to where she wants to be.
      Today it was absolutely beautiful so Lauren and I played with bubbles for about a half hour today.  She just loved playing in the grass and she even found a bug!!

Yesterday was a whole different story though!  Oh my! It was a whirlwind of emotions for mommy, daddy and poor Lauren.  Yesterday started a little different than most.  Lauren and I both were up and ready at 5:30am.  By ready, yes we were both showered and dressed! Amazing, I know! I washed bottles, made bottles and fed Lauren, who then fell back asleep at 6am.  She woke up around 8am just in time for daddy to come home for breakfast.  Shortly after Kevin went back to work around 9am, Lauren and I were playing on the couch.  She was acting like she wanted to stand up, so I grabbed both of her hands (like I have done several times) ..she started to push up with her legs and I was letting her use her own strength to pull up when I heard a "pop".  I first thought it was just a little pop in her wrist, nothing serious.  She kinda wimpered and then progressively started to get more upset.  I at first thought she was just hungry because it had been almost 4 hours.  I put her in her high chair and laid some puffs on her tray while I made up some cereal.  I noticed that her left arm would not move and she would only reach with her right arm.  I took her left arm and tried to see if she would grip my fingers and she would not.  When I had moved her arm, she began to scream and the screaming did not stop for a very long time.  I called Kevin and we decided to meet at the Emergency Room.  Once I had her in her carseat and her arm was stabalized she settled down.  She actually fell asleep on the way to the hospital.  We were fortunate not to wait long to see the Dr. 

As you can see in this picture, her left arm is just limp!  She wouldn't even lift it up. 

She was so strong and brave.  The Dr. said that she had Nursemaid Elbow.  Her elbow had been dislocated.  He said it was very common in young children and to not feel bad. 

 I just felt terrible though.  I had not been rough with her.  I had not been swinging or yanking.  It was a total freak accident.  Her tears and screams just broke my heart.  The Dr. wanted to get an xray and make sure it was nothing more.  He didn't see anything on the xray and just re-set the elbow.  He warned us that she would be upset again because it would hurt.  She was so brave though.  She cried for only about 30 seconds after he re-set it and then was back into the swing of things shortly thereafter. 
As you can see in the next two photos, she has no problem now with the elbow.  Kids are so resilient!


We came home and played for about an hour and then we both took a 2 hour nap!  It had been a long morning!  Very shortly after she woke up, she was back to her goofy self. 
I am just very thankful that it was nothing worse. I am still very cautious about everything now.  I am so paranoid.  I just don't want her to be hurt again.  I know that probably won't happen.  It still will never get easier. 

8 comments:

Mrs. Lukie

Don't feel bad...it really is one of the most common injuries in children! They are very susceptible to dislocating their elbows and it happens ALLLLLL the time :)

Katie

Scary! I almost had to take Ellie to the ER once, but turns out I was just being a freak (over protective mama). Thank you so much for your supportive comments on my blog. I am following you now! : )

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥

We always wonder who will be going in to the doc/ER next! Matthew had to while we were on vacation because he scratched his eye while napping! You just have to expect the unexpected when you have children! Wow! We have had our share of unexpected doosies! It builds your trust in the Lord!

Julie S.

Awww, don't beat yourself up! Like you said, kids are very resilient! :)

Jacinda

no fun! what a great mom you are. lauren's a very lucky little lady.

Rebecca

How scary!!!! I am so glad that kids are resilient. It defenitly makes life eaiser, however, having to take them to the doc for anythinhg is just super scary! I am so glad she is okay!!!

themurrayfamily

I can't imagine! Much love to you and little Lauren!!! She looks like she had a quick recovery. How about you? Are you doing okay?

Cindy

That is scary! It happened to Gavin when he was 2. But how it happened made me feel absolutely horrible! He was being naughty (like a 2 year old), and I took his hand and said, "You need to sit in time-out". He dropped his entire body to the floor- and I was still holding on to his hand, and "pop" his elbow went out. He was screaming like crazy- but I had a friend who showed me what to do if that happened, and I popped it back in myself. Afterward, I watched him and played catch with him to make sure he was ok, and thankfully he was. I was thinking, oh no, I am so abusive- but it happens! So glad Lauren is fine!