CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 26, 2010

Question?!

I hope I don't sound stupid... but seriously what switch goes on in a baby's belly at day 365 after birth that says "ok...I can have dairy now!!"  I just don't get it, and I don't want to get into a mommy war.  I know the Dr's recommend waiting until they are atleast one to introduce dairy and cow's milk...but would it hurt to introduce them to the dairy a little at a time over the course of a few months?? ...ok that's all I have for now.  Thanks!!

4 comments:

Julie S.

Great question! I wonder the same thing. I have a friend that mixed 1/2 milk and 1/2 formula at 10 months to make the switch easier (and to stretch a dollar!) and my mom said we all went from nursing to milk in a sippy cup around 9-10 months. I don't know what the answer is unfortunately, and I don't know what I will do with Brayden.

themurrayfamily

I just had this conversation with my pediatrician last week! Maura has been on dairy products, just not straight milk, for a few months... i think around 9-10 months. She was eating yogurt and mac and cheese and such. She did just fine. When I started her on milk we had no problems. Not sure if it was the gradual or not.

My pediatrician said a baby's belly isn't ready until 9+ months b/c of development so they use the 12 mo point as a rule of thumb. Weird.

Melanie

I think it has to do with the protein found in cow's milk which is difficult for babies to digest. But around one year old, their digestive track is mature enough to handle it. There are a lot of widely different opinions on this. I even read this one article that said milk is not meant for adult consumption and that humans are the only ones who insist on drinking it past infancy! Pretty wild!...http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/linda_folden_palmer.html

Anyway, it's hard to know sometimes. Hope you find the best solution for Lauren. You'll know what's best.

The Ericksons

The proteins are hard for a baby to digest and they say to wait a year so their systems can develop. If you give them cow's milk too young they have a chance of developing a milk allergy (same with strawberries).