CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

May the road rise to meet you...

An Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.


Today always takes me back to my childhood. The excitement of the day was just too much to handle.  I grew up going to St. Mary's Catholic school.  My mothers side of the family (Kelleher) was very Irish and very proud of their heritage and still are to this day.  
As a child, this day was so much fun.  From sun up to sun down it was a celebration.  In the mornings, we'd make sure we were wearing our green in order to not get pinched!  My mom would usually have a treat for us and dye our milk green for an extra added kick of fun. Once we got to school, it was a celebration.  We'd have parties, treats, movies.  A day of celebrating St. Patrick.  St. Patrick was a christian missionary most commonly known as one of Patron Saints of Ireland.   
After school, we would continue our celebrations to my Grandpa and Grandma Kelleher's house.  Grandma would have prepared corned beef and cabbage and other treats for us.  
It is a day filled with many great memories of my childhood and yet sadness because I miss my grandparents so much. 


When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away
 
I can't listen to that song now without crying.  I remember how my grandpa's eyes smiled so bright.  He was such a loving, caring and gentle man.  He was proud of his family and where he came from.  He worked hard for everything that he had and provided for his family.  I can still hear him and his brothers and sisters belting this song out at our family reunions.  I wish they knew Kevin, and Lauren.  I know they are looking down on us and watching over us.  I have had family members tell me that she resembles my grandpa.  I suppose it's the chubby cheeks and the smile that never stops that reminds them of him.  I hope one day I can share with my children a glimpse of their Irish heritage and I hope they are proud of every piece of heritage they are a part of,  and that we as a family, and they with their own families can carry on those traditions. 



6 comments:

Bridget

Aw Kris this is such a sweet post. Although I too understand the moments of reminiscing of memories and being sad over all that was and no longer is. We have both been blessed enough to miss our grandparents this much because they were such an important part of our lives! Have a blessed St.Patricks day! Love you!

Anonymous

Thanks Kristen for remembering... They loved you kids with all their hearts and they most certainly would love Kristen and Kevin!! You just made my day!! I love you!

Unknown

Made my Irish eyes cry! I know they are watching over us! Uncle Jim

Livin' La Vida Lanphear

We really miss Helen and Roger, too! We were so fortunate that they spent so much time here and we got to spend so much time wiht them.

Melanie

So sweet! Any time you want to visit Ireland, we would LOVE to have you!!

Love,
Your Irish cousins!

Jacinda

what a wonderful post. i hope you had a great st. paddy's day. that song always reminds me of good old sms!