CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Spinach Roll

So...this is a recipe that I just whipped together today for lunch. I was inspired by my friend Jamie.  She had us over for lunch last week and made home made pizza and was making a pepperoni roll for supper for her family.  I mentally took note of what she was using and decided to try a version on my own at home today.  I didn't have any pepperoni so I used spinach and it turned out quite tasty!!

Below is the recipe I used for pizza dough.  It was the best so far that we've attempted to make...well actually we've always just used the jiffy box mix, so yeah...this was a big improvement! 

1-package active dry yeast
1-cup warm water
1-tablespoon sugar
1/2 -tsp of salt
2 -tablespoons of olive oil (I used Tastefully Simple Garlic Infused Oil) YUM!
3-cups of flour

- Add water, sugar and yeast to bowl.  Let yeast dissolve.  Add remaining ingredients. Beat in mixer with bread hook until dough forms a ball.  Place on floured surface and knead and form ball. Place in greased bowl and cover for one hour until dough doubles in size.  Once it has risen, punch down and knead.  I had enough dough for 2 medium sized pizzas or rolls.  I decided to freeze one and save it for later. 

The dough is the hardest part..the rest of the recipe is left up to your imagination!  I sauteed spinach, sweet onions, garlic and olive oil until onions were soft and spinach was wilted.  I made a mixture of oil, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and garlic.  I brushed the crust with this yummy mixture. Next I mixed 1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.  I placed the mixture on the crust and topped with the spinach/onion mixture.  I rolled the dough and then formed into a horse shoe. I brushed the top with the garlic oil/parm mixture. 

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Bake on pizza pan or stone for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top. 

This was so so so delicious. The girls even liked it.  Just like pizza, you can make it however you want!!  I definitely want to try some other toppings next time. 

Just start off with the crust and build from there.
What are your favorite toppings for home made pizza?! Do you have any crazy flavor combinations? 

3 comments:

The Ericksons

That looks so yummy! I'll have to try it, I'm the only one that likes spinach though - more for me!

Corrina Dea

Ohhhh....I'm going to have to try this one. I love spinach and I'm always trying to fit it into more of our weekly meals. Thanks for the post!

Corrina Dea

Ohhh...I'm going to have to try this one. I love spinach too and I'm always trying to find new recipes to fit into our weekly meals. Thanks for posting this!