CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Yellow Ribbon Christmas






Yellow Ribbon Christmas
by Kristen Erickson

Christmas, this year, is not like before.
My dearest soldier is gone and fighting a war.

I anxiously wait for a letter or phone call.
But he works everyday, and some days we hear nothing at all.

The children, so innocent, they miss him so
And, oh how I wish I could kiss him under the mistletoe.

The presents, I wrapped, and labeled from him.
Thanks to technology, he was able to watch as they opened them.

It’s still not the same, most will not understand.
But as a military family, we sacrifice for this great land.

I don’t need jewelry or other fancy things.
I am always the happiest when the phone rings.

We talk about our day, we laugh and we cry.
Christmas seems no different than the other days that have gone by.

We keep our faith in the Lord, He’ll never astray.
He sent his son for us, and we celebrate Him on this day.

The presents have been opened and now the kids are asleep.
I lay here in bed, and my eyes begin to weep.

A great day was had, filled with the ones I hold dear.
But my love, my soldier, is the one I want here.
 




© Poem "Yellow Ribbon Christmas" Kristen Erickson 2010

1 comments:

Rebecca

You bring tears to my eyes. I can't wait until your family is reunited!!!