CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 4, 2010

To Ferberize or not to Ferberize...

Ugh...how about we meet in the middle.  Up until recently we either held Lauren til she went to sleep or laid her in between us until she calmed down, fell asleep, and then we would transfer her into her own bed for a full nights sleep.  It dawned on us recently that we were going to have a very crowded bed in a few months with the new addition and that we better figure something out before the new little girl arrives!  Before Lauren was born, we would have just said "oh let them cry themselves to sleep"..not so easy when you have one of your own.  Obviously, she is 9 months and we still haven't made her do it.  We just can't. I can't hear the whales and see the tears and just leave her there.  I can't. I won't.  It might work for some and that's great. I won't do it.  I know when my child is tired.  I would rather let my child run out their energy while we are still up than put them in bed and just let them scream themselves to sleep. 
The last two nights, we have not rocked Lauren to sleep.  We have just waited til she shows signs of being sleepy (i.e. rubbing eyes, wanting to be held etc.) and then we took her to her room, put her in bed with her dolly and sea horse, kissed her goodnight and left.  We kind of got a scolding...not whaling tears or cries..just whines and the shaking of the side of the crib like.."Hey...people! Come get me!!"  I'm sure you parents know what I am talking about.  The intermittent yells were each a few minutes apart and slowly got further apart and stopped after about 15 minutes. She was sound asleep. Yay!  This was hard for Kevin and I to do.  Lauren has never been much of a crying baby. She has been so good since she was born, so any sort of crying, whining etc. just breaks our heart.  She has also been sleeping through the night since she was 8 weeks old, with the exception of a few teething/sick nights and the occasional I lost my pacifier whimper but right back to sleep she goes.  So before now, we never really felt the need to let her put herself to sleep. 
Lauren now knows how to pacify herself for the most part.  She still loves to be held.  I try to snuggle her as much as I can during the day.  I don't like to see her big brown eyes, teary and sad looking up at me as she yanks on my pant leg.  Overall, we are happy with the results of the last 2 nights.  Our method works for us right now.  No tears from mom and dad or Lauren, and Lauren sleeping soundly through the night without even a whimper! 



4 comments:

Julie S.

That is great that she is doing it mostly by herself. I wrote a blog on this not too long ago. Brayden LOVES to be rocked, and just can't leave him in his crib yet. Whatever works though, right!?

The Ericksons

It IS hard, isn't it, I know the feeling! Sounds like you guys are doing a great job! It will be so much easier in the long run once the new baby comes!
Miss you guys

Kerri

I'm glad you're doing what works for you now. I had to click on your post because of the title-- I'm kind of in limbo asking myself that very question right now. You see, we have a GREAT self-soother at bedtime & naptime. Initially, he puts himself to sleep no problem without any help from us. However, he still wakes up frequently during the night & it's like he forgets he can self-soothe then; all he wants it to nurse to get back to sleep. I feel like we're on a fast track to CIO, something I never, ever wanted to do. I'm at least trying to wait until he's a few months older (he's 6.5 months now) if I have to go there & I'm praying for a miracle in the meantime! I can't stand to hear my little guy cry!!

Kristen

Hey Everyone! Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

-Becky-
Our men are getting old! LOL just kidding! They are the best! We already have a toddler bed for Lauren in her room and set up. We plan on probably starting her in it around the same time as you did Alex. We had Lauren in her own crib as soon as she started sleeping through the night so I suppose we'll have to have Lauren into the toddler bed as soon as the other baby will be ready for the crib since they will be sharing a room for now. It will be interesting...but I am sure we will survive!